Sunday, October 2, 2011

Welcome October!

Fall is officially here and so is the month of October. Apples and pumpkins everywhere, my favorite season. Friday a dear friend gave me two small loaves of bread from a restaurnt she frequents. I was thinking what I should do with them, there was already plenty of bread in the house. I could make bread crumb or croutons but that didn't interest me. So I decided to make bread pudding. A dessert my mother made while I was growing up and I have made from time to time over the years but it had been a while.

So here is official scoop on bread pudding...

"Food historians trace the history of bread pudding to the early 11th and 12th centuries, as frugal cooks looked for ways to use stale, leftover bread instead of letting it go to waste. While bread pudding is still a way to use up leftover bread, it has gained a reputation as a comfort food and is a featured dessert item in trendy establishments, having shed its humble roots...."



Bread Pudding

6-8 slices day-old bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Break bread into pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
Note - The dish I made yesterday (photo) was 1 1/2 times the recipe to use up all the bread she gave me. Doubling the recipe would have been too much.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Sarah that looks so good! I'm totally making that! It would be good after Squash or Pumpkin soup dinner....yummy!

    ReplyDelete