Sunday, February 28, 2010

"An Old Fashioned Winter"





That's what the weatherman had called it the other day. Yes, one of those winter's where you no sooner start to see the pavement and the lawn and you get another storm to cover it over again. I don't mind snow as long as I don't have to drive to work, but it isn't that often I get that lucky.
So where have I been over the last month or so? Just caught up in the everyday groove of life, work, eat and sleep. I was however pretty sick for two weeks with a cold and upper respiratory infection that kicked me down hard. I don't think I've ever felt so sick like I was this time. I even had "Pink Eye"! Yech! But I am feeling well again, and back in the swing of working extra hours and falling asleep at the computer at night from eye fatigue. OK enough of my whining. On a positive note, the Food Network is back on cable TV.

On to the more creative side of me. During the month of January I made a pull over hat with my new loom, had hoped to make the matching scarf when the "Pink Eye" hit. So being I didn't feel like learning anything new I started a crochet shawl in a seafoam green color with a cotton yarn I had. I'm about 3/4 completed. Hope to post it in the next few weeks.
As for cooking, I haven't made anything out of the ordinary. I'll add a few recipes I am using for today's dinner that are tried and true. Perfectly cooked roast beef and old fashioned scalloped potatoes. Those creamy bubbly potatoes that your mom or grandmom made, the recipe is that old.
Let me know what you think if you try either recipe.

Perfectly Cooked Roast Beef

I love my roast beef med-rare, and this is how I do it.

IMPORTANT: Take your roast out of the fridge, and let it set to get it to room temp!

If you like really rare bake for 13 mins. at 500. If you like your roast beef cooked medium, put in for 18 mins. at 500. If you like it well done, then just burn the darn thing LOL!! What's nice about this recipe is, if someone likes it done a little more, please keep in mind that the end pieces will be done a little more.

Keep in mind this cooking time is for a 4 lb. roast only, so adjust your time in the oven according to the size of your roast!

SERVES 4 -6

4 lbs roast beef, tenderloin, tip, eye round, bottom round, rump, any you like (you can use any size roast, just adjust the sitting time in the oven 15 mins. per lb.)

1 onion, cut into thin rings

garlic powder to taste

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Wait for a few minutes before you put your roast in, so it gets as hot as possible.

2. Put the roast in a shallow pan.

3. Cut onion into thin rings, and put all over the top and sides of the roast using toothpicks if necessary. I sit a few slices on the bottom of my roast too.

4. Sprinkle roast generously with garlic powder, or to your liking. DO NOT SALT roast, or you will dry it out.

5. Put roast in the oven on the middle rack.

6. Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, then shut off oven, and let sit in the oven for 15 minutes per lb. (For this 4 lb. roast, 1 hr.). DO NOT under any circumstances open the oven door! VERY IMPORTANT!

7. After you bake your roast the 15 minutes per lb., take it out of the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes, to allow juices to distribute in the roast.

Scalloped Potatoes

The Fannie Farmer's Scalloped Potatoes recipe that your grandmother made that was so famous and delicious.

SERVES 4

• 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
• salt
• fresh ground pepper
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1 1/2 cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
2. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
3. Cover the bottom of the casserole with a single layer of potatoes.
4. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, flour and a few dots of butter.
5. Repeat until all of the potato slices are used.
6. Pour milk over the potato slices until the top is almost covered.
7. Dot with the remaining butter.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft.

Sunday's are usually busy at my house so I'll end here and then just throw in a few photos.
Keep warm and dry and think Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment