Monday, August 31, 2009

A perfect weather day...


No heat, no humidity, about 72 degrees. Even the A/C at work was way too cold for me. The cold at work got me thinking of soups and casseroles and stews.

So even though it is a bit early for a comfort food kind of meal. Tonight I made up an easy chicken and bisquit casserole that is a long standing family favorite. Oh, it may not be fall yet but this meal did my heart good. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the wonderful light summer dishes I make but I think I am reaching my limit and needed an old fashioned meal to warm the tummies of my family. Surely they must have been a bit chilly today too.


Chicken and Biscuit Dumpling Casserole
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups cooked chicken, bite size pcs
Saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper until smooth. Add broth, bring to a boil, cook and stir one minute. Add chicken, pour into greased 13x9 casserole.
Biscuit Dumplings:

2 cups bisquick
2 tsp parsley
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
Combine all, stir with fork until moistened. Drop by spoonfulls onto casserole (9-12 dumplings) Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 15 minutes more until biscuits are done. 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment